Skip to main content

Goodbye My Teddie Bear ...

Over fifteen years ago, I welcomed an adorable, spunky ball of fluff into my life.  Based upon her fluffy demeanor, I, without doubt, named her Teddie Bear.  She was my first puppy ever.  I had dogs growing up, but Teddie was my first "baby".  However, from day one, she had several "Mommies". 

I recall getting her in October of 1998, the fall after I graduated college.  I was just about to purchase my first house/condo and I was working at UnitedHealthCare.  Due to my long working days, my mom helped dog-sit Teddie during the day she wouldn't be all by herself for more than ten hours a day.  It was a perfect arrangement.  Teddie played with the other family dogs, snuggled with my mom and in return, my puppy was instantly potty trained. 

A couple of months later, a new puppy (Pooh Bear) came to live at our house.  By then Teddie was the matriarch of the house.  She taught Pooh the ropes.  They were an adorable duo, as long as Pooh allowed Teddie to rule the roost.  This was even the case, when we added Capone to the mix in 2004.  Although Capone didn't quite allow Teddie to be the queen of the kingdom without a fight.  They did co-exist happily for several years.  However, in 2009, Teddie and Capone were fighting on a daily basis.  There may have been some alpha-dog issues occurring and neither were going to give in.  So, after much discussion and some tears by me, I decided it would be better if Teddie went to live with Grandma Micky.  I was very sad to have her leave, but it was one of the best decisions I had ever made.

Teddie was so happy at Grandma Micky's.  She was spoiled rotten and treated like a Princess.  Micky's dog, Popcorn, accepted her with open arms.  Grandma Micky had another baby to take care of.  It was the perfect arrangement.  I am so glad that Teddie lived her last five years with a woman who loved her so deeply and warmly.

Teddie passed away on Thursday, February 6th due to old age and blindness.  She was just shy of her sixteenth birthday, which she would have been in May.  As I think back through out the years, Teddie was around for all of the big chapters of my life -- job changes, house purchases, marriages, divorce, births and deaths.  She was around for me during many of these major life events.  And each time, I knew that she would jump into my arms to give me a hug or cuddle up with me on the couch.

I will miss you, Teddie Bear.  I am so grateful that you brightened so many lives.  You will always be my first "baby".


Comments

Shirley said…
My first Granddog! And, yes, I miss you too! Teddie. What a great dog you were.
Teresa said…
I am so sorry.
Melinda Snyder said…
Aww Teddie in her sweater!
Lynsey Farrell said…
Even though you'd already told me about it, I still cried. These little guys have such an important place in our hearts.
Shirley Farrell said…
What a great tribute to little Teddie. As old as she was, she still got excited and pranced around. She will be missed.
Debra Pryor said…
I'm sorry, Jen. I remember Teddie was such a sweet little girl.
Lori Brodzinski said…
♥ Thinking of you...thanks for sharing this...
Lori Brodzinski said…
♥ Thinking of you...thanks for sharing this...
Darcie McCracken said…
I'm sorry for your loss. You wrote a great tribute.
Megan Abair Bauman said…
HUGS.... I know what is like when those furry ones are like your kids.
Vicki Case said…
Losing a pet is so hard; take care.
Kim Winand Fraser said…
Sending you a hug! :-(
Jennifer Trempe Thomas said…
So sorry to hear this. Our furry babies are so special! Hugs to you.
Denise Garcia said…
So sorry Jen. Gil and I loved taking care of Teddy. I really missed her when she went to live with Grandma. So sorry for your loss. We loved her too.
Tara Barnhart said…
aww
Andrea Barber said…
Such a cutie and you wrote her a beautiful tribute. Sending you a big hug, sweet friend.
Kristin McDaniel said…
So sorry for your loss. Losing a fur baby is really rough. Hugs to you!
Rebecca Rusk said…
Sorry to hear the news about Teddy,
Cory Hughes said…
Makes me miss Lady all over again, she would've been around 12 or 13 now ... Sorry to hear you lost a dear friend and a member of your family
Leilani Kupo said…
so sorry for your loss. sending you a big hug!
Dione Mason Katz said…
I know the feeling of loss, but it is the memories that stay with us
Victor Case said…
Jenn very sorry to hear about Teddy. Wishing the Farrell/Landers family well with much love.
Jodi Dolph said…
So sorry jen & family!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Backyard Renovation

Madilyn's 1st Surgery

Goodbye Sweet Capone...

Road Trip to Colorado

Mina's 1st Birthday!