Skip to main content

Judaism Journal Entry: Week Ten

What does it mean to be part of a (religious) community?  What seems to be the important reasons for converting to Judaism?  What Hebrew name might you choose, and why?

To me, being a part of a community innately human.  We all want a place where we can belong.  A place where you can connect to others.   A place that is greater than just you.  A place where we are able to grow and develop as a person with others that may share a common history, tradition or outlook on life.  And lastly, a place where we can reciprocate the support and guidance that is being provided as a community. 

Personally, I feel that my life is filled with several different kinds of communities.  I have my family.  I have my college sorority sisters.  I have life-long and newly developed friendships.  I have professional colleagues and co-workers.  And more recently, I have started to develop my Jewish community.  Each is an important aspect of my life.  Each supports me in a different way along life’s journey.  And hopefully, I am able to contribute something back to each one of these communities in my own special way.  Although I recognize that at different moments in my life some of my communities may be more prevalent in my life, but I do not feel that they ever disappear completely. 

As I explore my Jewish community, I hope that one day, if I convert, the reasons I do so are for the above reasons.  And far as I can tell, thus far, my Jewish community will provide me a place to grow and develop as a person, a place to foster family traditions and a place where I can contribute to the community at whole.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Backyard Renovation

Madilyn's 1st Surgery

Goodbye Sweet Capone...

Road Trip to Colorado

Mina's 1st Birthday!