Skip to main content

Happy Father's Day!

Thinking back throughout the years, I am not sure if my dad would agree, but I feel this Father's Day is a very special one for my dad.  For this year, he celebrates not only being a father, a grandfather, but also retirement.  My dad has worked hard creating a wonderful life for me, my sister and my mom for the past 30 plus years in the employee benefits arena. Throughout my childhood and adulthood my dad has held so many roles -- my hero, my teacher, my sports coach, my advocate, my editor, my chauffeur, my cheerleader, my contractor/carpenter, an instigator, my benefactor, my ally, my co-star, my pinochle partner, my kids "Papa" and so much more. However, seven years ago, my dad also became my co-worker. Even though we had worked together in the same industry for eight years prior, becoming his co-worker was one of the most amazing moments in my life.  It enabled me the opportunity to see my dad on a daily basis and learn even more about him, so much more than when you are a child.  Plus, as an adult, it means so much more.

That is why his retirement is bittersweet for me.  I am so excited that he and Mom will be able to spend the next chapter of their lives together doing everything and anything that they want.  They deserve it!  My parents have worked so hard for the past forty-something years.  I am so glad they will now have the chance to play and do some of the things they were not able to while they raised and provided for their family.  Just don't spoil the grand-kids too much!

There are so many things that I will miss about working with my dad.  I will miss peering into the office next door and not see him working on an email, reading the latest industry news or having a lively conversation with one of his brokers.  I will miss the occasional happy hour where I gained a deeper glimpse of my dad as a child or when he served in the Coast Guard.  I will miss the vast experience and knowledge my father has in the industry that I have become accustom to tapping into oh so often.  In these past seven years, not only has he been a co-worker, but he has been my confidant, my mentor, my travel partner, my sounding board, my partner-in-crime and my friend.  I will miss having all of those in the office next door.  And yet sadly, I knew this day would one day arrive...

Dad, thank you for allowing me the chance to have this amazing opportunity.  The daily office grind will never be the same.  You have left me some very large shoes to fill, but I am happy to live up to the challenge. Thanks for teaching me and trusting me to step up to the next level.

Cheers to the next chapter!  Don't forget to stop by for a drink or two in between adventures so you can tell me all about it.

Happy Father's Day -- I love you!

Me, Dad and Lynsey
Dad and I in Mombasa, Kenya
Dad and I at Thomson's Falls, Kenya
Papa with Madi and Aiden

Comments

Shirley said…
Such a wonderful message for your father. He has been a wonderful father - I feel so lucky to have had him by my side to raise you and your sister. We are the ones who have been blessed. Thanks for creating my tears. Love you, mom

Popular posts from this blog

Backyard Renovation

Madilyn's 1st Surgery

Goodbye Sweet Capone...

Road Trip to Colorado

Mina's 1st Birthday!