Skip to main content

Goodbye Sweet Capone...

In November of 2001, at a nineteen-twenties themed charity event, I may have had a little too much to drink and fell in love with an adorable German Shepherd/Terrier puppy.  Instantly, I scooped her up and carried her around for the entire evening, meanwhile discouraging other potential bidders from staking their claim.  At the conclusion of the evening, Capone was mine and I was hers.

Capone ~ November 2001

She was a sweet, loving dog.  Played nicely with others, including the kids.  She was very friendly.  She loved her pack of dog and human friends.  She was a bit of a scaredy cat and sometimes a little skittish.  She didn't like to swim or get wet, but she loved to sunbathe.  She was fiercely loyal. We could leave the door or backyard gate open and she would never leave.  It wasn't until Harley came along that she started to get adventurous in her old age and escape with him.  She also seemed to conquer every odd health ailment she developed.  My favorite was this weird growth that formed on the roof of her mouth and looked like her tongue sticking out.  We thought that we were going to have to surgically remove it, but one day it just disappeared.  Literally, just disappeared. 

 
Capone, Pooh Bear and Teddie
Harley and Capone

However, in mid-October, we said goodbye to this sweet old girl at the age of sixteen.  She just couldn't get rid of a cough she had for over a year or two or more.  We lost count.  She seemed to manage it okay at the beginning through medicine, but in the end, she just wasn't getting better and we didn't want her to suffer any longer.  

Madi saying goodbye
Aiden saying goodbye

We were all sad, but we knew it was for the best.  The kids were especially brave and strong.  For me, her departure was incredibly sad and difficult.  It was an end of an era.  She was the last little token of my life before Josh and the kids.  However, I am so lucky to have had her in my life.  She helped me weather so many storms.  I will never forget my sweet and loving little Capone.  You were a friend to me always...

My fur babies ~ November 2005

Comments

Shirley said…
I should not have read this post. The tears are flowing for sweet Capone. She was such an loyal dog for you and loved being a part of your life in her quiet way. I don't know if I have ever seen a dog who did not bark at everything. We all miss Capone and she will be running and playing with all our other dogs and granddoggies. Thankfully she never did seem to be suffering.

Popular posts from this blog

Backyard Renovation

Madilyn's 1st Surgery

Road Trip to Colorado

Mina's 1st Birthday!