Skip to main content

Do you remember?

I do.  Most of us do.  It was the moment when our world changed forever.  Ten years ago today, our nation and our freedom were attacked in a series of deliberate and deadly terrorist acts.  I woke up that Tuesday morning and followed my normal routine.  After getting out of the shower, I turned on the television to watch the news as I prepared to go to work.  I remember it took me a while to figure out what the newscasters were talking about.  Something about planes crashing into buildings.  Then, I saw the footage.  I watched as two airplanes, small in comparison to the building, crashed into the North and South Towers of the World Trade Center in New York City.  Smoke billowing from the buildings entry wound and sheets of paper falling from the sky.  I was stunned and didn't know what to think.  What was going on?  Who was to blame?  What does this mean?

There I was, home alone, just watching the event unfold from the edge of my bed.  Then around 7am, in real time, I watched as the first tower fell. And moments later, the second tower crashed to the ground.  And somewhere in the middle of all of that, it was reported that the Pentagon was hit and another airplane crashed just outside of Pittsburgh, PA. 

I am not sure how I continued to get ready for work that day, but I did.  The office was eerily quiet and most of the sales team did not report to work that day.  However, those of us that did, borrowed the television out of the conference room and huddled in my small little cubicle to watch this horrific event on television.  And eventhough we had seen the same footage over and over, we just could not bare to tear ourselves away.  We were mezmerized confused, and scared.  After realizing that we really were not going to get much work done that day, a small group of us went to lunch.  I say lunch, but if I recall correctly, none of us actually ate.  What we actually needed was a drink.  And so we drank, as we watched more television from the restaurant's bar.

The rest of the day was spent watching more television from the sofa in the family room,  I was addicted.  I kept waiting to hear more bad news, another attack.  I didn't want to miss a thing.  I finally had to turn the television off and walk away.  It just became too much.  Too many deaths.  So many lives affected in one day.  Too much sadness.  The guilt.  Knowing I was blessed to have my entire family safe.

In the days and months that followed 9/11/01, I remember a united nation.  We joined together. Patriotism and love for our country was at its best. People rushed to join the armed services.  We decided not to live in fear.  I know that some of that feeling has slowly faded away, but I have hope that we will have that feeling for our country, each other again one day. 

In remembrance of all the people who lost their lives ten years ago today in the World Trade Center, Pennsylvania and the Pentagon.  To all the Emergency Responders and Police that responded, to all the every day people who acted as heroes, and to all the families who lost their loved ones. 

I will never forget.

Comments

Darcie McCracken said…
I wish I had known you back then. The liquid lunch would have been nice. I remember being dazed and wondering why things were going on like normal when this horrific thing had happened. Thank you for sharing.

Popular posts from this blog

Backyard Renovation

Madilyn's 1st Surgery

Goodbye Sweet Capone...

Road Trip to Colorado

Mina's 1st Birthday!