Skip to main content

Judaism Journal Entry: Week Two and Three

I am happy to report that Josh and I have made it through our first official "Days of Awe".  We attended the evening and day services of both Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur.  We both fasted.  A huge kiddos to my husband who actually fasted *way* longer than you are required to just so he could "Break the Fast" with me. (Much thanks!)  After the entire ten day experience, I can honestly say that we found it insightful and inspiring.  As a newly attending congregant, there were several moments during the services that I was lost, especially during the Rosh Hashanah day service.  No one warned me that 95% of the service is all in Hebrew!  But even as I was struggling to follow the flow of the service, the Cantor would sing a song or blessing so beautifully that I would forget I had no idea what she was singing or even what it was about. 

Our kids even participated in the High Holy Days.  As a family, we attended the Tot Service of Yom Kippur.  The kids seemed to enjoy the experience which included singing songs, coloring, and a skit to watch.  It was so wonderful to see many young families celebrating the holiday together in an atmosphere where our kids could be kids.  It was very refreshing and is truly the environment we were hoping to find in our place of worship.

Our 1st Round Rosh Hashanah Challah
Judaism Journal Entry: Week Two and Three
In looking over the past year, what aspects of my life would you like to change?  What are the obstacles?  How can Judaism help you achieve your goals?
In examining the last twelve months, I have decided there are always aspects of my life that I would like to improve and change.  However, when I really started to evaluate everything, I realize that I would just like to change the overall “health” of my life.  This includes the health of my relationships, my physical health, and my mental/spiritual health.  With each of these goals, I am sure there will be obstacles along the way.  The most challenging obstacle is time.  We live busy lives and often there is not enough time in the day to devote to the changes that need to occur to make the outcome what you want it to be.  But Judaism has reminded me to live in the present and make the most of the here and now.  So, if these are the aspects that I want to change, I just need to commit to making them happen.

In year 5774, I would like to strengthen my relationship with my husband.  I feel that we have a strong marriage already, but I would like to have a rock-solid marriage.  One filled with romance, trust and better communication.  Other relationships I would like to strengthen are with my children.  I struggle with being the best mother that I can be, especially as a working mom.  This year I would like to create a good balance between work and home.  Lastly, I would like deepen my relationships with my extended family be that with my own parents, my husband’s family and my sister.  I would like to find more ways this year to connect with them even if we cannot physically be a part of each other’s lives daily.  Judaism enforces strong family relationships and bonds.  Hopefully through Jewish traditions and customs, I will be able to strengthen all the relationships in my life.

Another aspect of my life I would like to improve in the upcoming year is my physical health.  Currently, I would consider myself in good shape, but I would like to be in great shape.  One Jewish mitzvah is to respect your body and strive for good health.  With that, I would like to commit to eating better and exercising more in the upcoming year.  Since I know that it is a commandment, I should not have to think twice about why to do it.  Instead, I should just follow Nike’s motto and “Just do it!”

The last aspect of my life that I feel needs improvement is my mental and spiritual health.  I would like to reduce some of the unnecessary stresses in my life, focus more on what is important to me and my family and learn to let some things go.  I often find myself worrying about things that I cannot change or focusing on something that in the grand scheme of things really isn’t as important as I am making it out to be.  And although I think my ability to worry shows my innate Jewishness, in the long run, I feel that it is counterproductive.  So, this year, I would like to concentrate more on life’s small pleasures/blessings and the things that I can change.  As I learn more about Judaism and its traditions, it is my hope this journey will allow me to discover more about myself and what truly is important to me and my family; thus, allowing me to focus less on the minutiae.

Comments

Dione Ellen Mason Katz said…
I am filled with respect and awe for what you have written. May you accomplish what you look for, and accept the failures that may happen along the way. Life is all about 2 steps forward and one back. Don't let the potholes ruin your path. Always look forward to tomorrow with a smile on your face.
Vanessa said…
It's really neat to get to follow along on your journey, Jen. I think your last paragraph is an ongoing intention that we get better at over time. I find myself working on the same things. Would love to support each other in it!

Popular posts from this blog

Backyard Renovation

Madilyn's 1st Surgery

Goodbye Sweet Capone...

Road Trip to Colorado

Mina's 1st Birthday!