Skip to main content

Space Shuttle Challenger

Thirty years ago today, I was sitting in Mrs. Mills' fourth grade classroom.  She was not my homeroom teacher that year (I had Mrs. DeSoto), but all of the fourth graders had gathered together in one classroom to watch the NASA Space Shuttle Challenger launch from Cape Canaveral, Florida. We were all excited, especially the teachers.  This was to be an historic event.  This was the first time a teacher would have flown in space.  Sadly, the launch became historic, but not for the reason that was intended.  

I remember sitting on the floor with all of my fellow classmates.  We all participated in the launch countdown.  And then about a minute after takeoff, the shuttle broke apart in mid-air. We all sat there completely shocked, and honestly, confused.  I am not sure we all really understood what had just happened, but our teachers' eyes, some filled with tears, told the whole story.  We had just witness a national tragedy -- my *first* national tragedy.  One I will not forget.

"Sometimes, when we reach for the stars, we fall short. But we must pick ourselves up again and press on despite the pain." -- President Ronald Reagan, January 31st, 1986.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Backyard Renovation

Madilyn's 1st Surgery

Goodbye Sweet Capone...

Road Trip to Colorado

Mina's 1st Birthday!