Skip to main content

Judaism Journal Entry: Week Five

How might you observe Shabbat in a meaningful way?
Shabbat is supposed to be a day to be present with ourselves and our family.  As my family begins to incorporate Shabbat more into our weekly routine, I would like create traditions that will make this holiday unique, fun and memorable for us all.  One way that I would like to separate this particular day from all other days of the week is by creating a dining experience for my family that is different from the rest of the week.  It would include decorating the table with festive Shabbat candlesticks, a beautiful tablecloth, and a meal complete with homemade challah.  It would also include each person seated at the table to share something they are thankful for with everyone else.  

Another tradition that I would like to incorporate into our weekly celebration would be the idea of “thinning”.  “Thinning” is the concept of letting one thing go that you do not need.  It could be an unread book, an old appliance, clothing, toys, or a project that feels like a responsibility but isn’t bringing any joy to anyone.  I feel like this ritual ties in nicely with my Rosh Hashanah resolutions.  Once again, I would be able to purge those unnecessary items from my life so I could focus on things that matter more.   Also, I feel this observance would encourage our kids to give something that they do not need to someone else who may need it more than them.

Do you pray?  What motivates you?  What setting works?  What words emerge?
Do I pray?  Yes.  But it isn’t the stereotypical way you were taught to pray as a child -- on your knees, hands clasped together, and head bowed down.  I am more apt to pray at various times throughout the week when I finally have a couple of moments to myself, first thing in the morning or right before I go to sleep.  Sometimes, I confess, I have even found time to pray in the car on my way to or back from work.    I am also an erratic prayer.  I may not pray for a couple weeks at time or I may pray daily depending on what I feel I need to express or gain at that moment.  Sometimes I ask for guidance on a problem or concern I have.  Other times I express gratitude and thanks for my blessed life.  At times, my prayers are silent and self-internalized.  And yet, I have also been known to verbalize my prayer out loud.  I am not sure that my praying style is conventional, but it works for me.

Comments

Shirley Farrell said…
Very nice. I love the thought you are putting into this new lifestyle.

Popular posts from this blog

Backyard Renovation

Madilyn's 1st Surgery

Goodbye Sweet Capone...

Road Trip to Colorado

Mina's 1st Birthday!