Skip to main content

Virtual Connections

One aspect of COVID-19 that I have found thoroughly amusing is that everyone is embracing technology in a whole new light.  Every week, I spend most of my work day in some sort of web-based meeting.  Everything from Zoom to WebEx to FaceTime or Skype.  My kids also spend half of their homeschooling day reliant on virtual connections.  They meet with their Lookout Mountain classmates and teachers through Google Meet and with their Blossom Park instructors on Zoom.  And after school, they are FaceTiming their friends so they can play Minecraft together.  I am even volunteering on my non-profit board meetings virtually now.  And then, there are the other moments of my day that I connect with family and friends for virtual "happy hours." 

It amazes me how easily we were able to transform our lives into communicating with each other through screens.  Now, I am not arguing that this is all for the good, nor is it ideal.  I definitely miss the more personable and tangible meet-ups, but technology has allowed me continual connection time during this time of separation. 

The best part of this technology boost has been the fact that I have been able to connect to so many people that I may not have seen regularly.  For example, my Palmer Society sisters and I have started enjoying happy hour together.  We have been meeting with each other about every three weeks.  It has been fun to chat with them, catch-up, and hear everyone's latest COVID story or happening. It has been a good reminder that we are all experiencing the same thing although we live in different parts of the country.  I really hope that virtual connections like these continue even after the pandemic calms.  These have definitely been some of my brightest moments in a time of anxiety and change.

Work Meetings

Family Happy Hours

Palmer Happy Hours


Kid Happy Hours

Friend Happy Hours

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Backyard Renovation

Madilyn's 1st Surgery

Goodbye Sweet Capone...

Road Trip to Colorado

Mina's 1st Birthday!